Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Home Library

I love to read and collect  books on beauty, style and entertaining.  I read somewhere that most women buy cookbooks for the parties they will never have.  Somehow, that rang true and made me laugh. I don't have too many cookbooks, but I do have a small home library of beauty, style and decorating books.

 I love advice books on the above topics.  I always garner a bit of information from each book and put it to use. Often, when I'm feeling a bit dowdy or I think I don't have anything to wear, I reach for a book on one of these topics, to refresh me.

I usually try and borrow the books I am interested in from the library first (our tax dollars at work) and then, if I feel it will be a good 'reference' book, I purchase the book.  Vintage books by Zsa Zsa Gabor and Arlene Dahl (married to Fernando Lamas, mother of Lorenzo Lamas) are some of my favorites.  The advice given in the 60's was so different from today's thinking, yet the those women were actually very wise.




More recent books I've enjoyed are, Beauty at Home, by Aerin Lauder, the granddaughter of the beloved Estee Lauder.  This is a beautiful coffee table book with stories from Aerin's youth, growing up Lauder. I wish!



I also enjoyed Bunny Williams' Scrapbook for Living.  She has so many wonderful and practical suggestions for a comfortable and gracious home.  Again, a coffee table book.  Both these books are available at the Cuyahoga Public Libraries, so check them out (literally) and if you love them, then own them.



But, be careful if you read Colin Cowie Chic: How Life Should Be Lived, or you'll be arranging your silverware drawer with all the spoons facing in one direction. Good grief!



Sometimes, just leafing through one of these books can spark an idea for a new look, or a  color  palate for a dinner party.  It's always good to have books for elegant and gracious living.....it's the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment