Friday, April 25, 2014

Hats for The Derby and Otherwise

I have always been a hat lady.  I wear them in the Winter to keep warm and look chic.  I wear them in the Summer to keep the sun off my face and look chic.

We lived in the South for a number of years, so hats were necessary for sun protection.  I have a little collection and enjoy wearing them, especially my straw hats for sunny days. Watch how a man looks at a woman in a hat (who is wearing it well).  They seem to look a bit longer, perhaps, remembering the days when their mothers and grandmothers always wore hats AND gloves.




There is a wonderful hat store, or as they were called millinery shop in Rocky River.  Studio St. Marie is owned by the lovely and talented Lee St. Marie.  She has a very special gift for making wonderful hats.  Lee also remakes  hats by adding or taking away decorations. Her talents extend to stretching, tightening and restoring hats.  In her delightful store,  she carries a selection of ready made hats, fascinators and hair ornaments.  She can fashion the hat of your dreams with whatever colors and decorations you desire.  The wonderful thing about Lee is how easy she is to work with.....her ideas and taste usually win me over.  Either way, you will leave with a wonderful hat, as well as a delightful experience.






















Each time I visit her, I remember the days of sitting in the Millinery Department at Higbees, while my mother tried on hat after hat.....with only one thing on my mind... lunch at the Silver Grille.  Lee has a collection of vintage hat boxes upstairs, in her shop, that will take you back in time and  miss the days when ladies wore hats to match every outfit.

If you live on the east side, believe me, this shop is worth a visit. Come for lunch at a local restaurant and have some fun trying on hats at Studio St. Marie.

Bye bye for now.  Living graciously and elegantly is the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment